16 Mar 2011

Barbara G Walker

Barbara G Walker is a author of many knitting books from the 60's, 70's and 80's as well as many feminist books.
Some knitters may already know her works, but they were just introduced to me by a work colleague. I was searching for a stitch dictionary - something to inspire and learn from when designing. My work colleague told me the best one she had was by Barbara Walker, and brought in her copy of Charted Knitting Designs: A Third Treasury of Knitting Patterns. In this books pages were many new stitches - different and exciting ways to look at knitting. And all written in a way that both new knitters could understand and experienced knitters could quickly access. No many, many lines of cryptic code - just a graph to follow and the occasional written pattern. Although they are from the 70's and the pictures are black and white, it does not put me off. The pictures are big and clear and mostly not needed in colour. However if you need colour photograph's then there is a website out there for you - The Walker Treasury Project - a group that collects colour images of Barbara's pattern's. They are added by the users and so they are not all there, but there is a good collection for sure.
I found it very interesting as well to see her two subjects were knitwear and feminism. I wonder how she found the two, if she related them or kept them separate. Can knit wear be a part of feminism or the other way round?

2 comments:

  1. Yes! But as an aside, do you know Elizabeth Zimmerman? I think her books are along the same lines...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm....Thanks for the feed back, I looked Zimmerman up and looks interesting. I really want one of her books too now...so many good books so little time....

    ReplyDelete

1 2 8 9